I had the option of purchasing a kit (materials and all) from an online store but they proved to be expensive (plus shipping cost!). Instead, I was determined you could make one for only under $10 (no light) or under $30 (with light). After scouring Home Depot and some party stores, I found my materials and started building away! I came up with an instructable on how you can make one for your self or anyone you'd like to share the Christmas spirit with.
Let's begin making a parol!
Step 1: What you will need
- Bamboo garden stake - Home Depot has some. Search for "bamboo stake". ~ $1.89 (6pcs)
- String $2.00 / roll
- Plastic table cloth - I got this from a party store. ~ $1.99 ea. Choose your colors. I used Green and white ($4 total)
- Coffee cup covers - About $2.00 / pk
- Small nails - I had spare nails from previous project.
- Electrical wires, socket, plug - $5
- LED bulb - This came in a pack of 2 for $15. I used only one.
- Tape measure
- Utility/Outdoor knife
- Wood glue
- Quick Dry glue - works with plastic tablecloth
- Wire splicer
- Electrical tape
- Cutter or X-acto knife
- Cutting board
- Drill with small drill bit
- Hot glue gun