Wrapping yourself in aluminum foil isn't enough! The kinds of radio waves used with RFID are tricky and can penetrate all sorts of things---it's a matter of power and antenna size. On a quest for a modern-day magic shielding cloth, I discovered how to make an effective, rigid pouch on the cheap.
- Holds passport, 4-8 credit cards & moderate amount of folded paper.
- Shields when closed, even when directly on top of readers.
- Cards in can-lined pockets are shielded when pouch is open, also when on reader.
- Inexpensive, readily available materials. Time is most expensive item on this project.
- Pouch design works with the strap worn on the body or without & carried in another bag.
- Shields more than some items currently available for sale.
More technical details on page 21. Non-commercial use only, please. I made a batch for sale, but do not plan to be doing any more production. (There are about 3 left.) My personal motivation for this project was not pouch sales, but was in a sense my way of distributing "free condoms" for your personal info/privacy. Of course, I'm open to other opportunities. Contact me for more info.: saraheartburn (at) gmail (dot) com.
Thanks, have fun, & be safe(r)!