Step 1: MATERIALS
TIP: If you are doing them for your spouse and want to keep it really low budget just use some towels you already own and focus your expenses on a few bath goodies and the setting.
GAL= 2 bath towels for the body (mine is white, but choose any color or pattern you prefer)
2 wash clothes to match the towels
1 bath towel for her skin (mine is cream colored)
1 bath scrunchy/ or yarn for her hair
1 set of lips (I used lip lollipops, but you could use chocolate, wax, or fashion some from felt)
scrap black felt for eyelashes (I've also used the fake eyelashes from the store before)
GUY = 2 bath towels for body (any color)
2 wash clothes to match the towels
1 bath towel for his skin
some yarn for the hair
1 set of lips
scrap black felt for eyelashes
EXTRA = Clear packaging tape
Large rubber bands
Step 2: THE GAL
CORE= Take one of your towels that you selected as your gal's body and lay it out flat. Fold it in half twice, so that it is 1/4 of it's length. Then roll it from bottom to top. You should have a cylinder shape. Secure it with 1 rubber band at one end, and slightly spread open the opposite end so that it can stand up right nicely.
DRESS= Take your matching towel and lay it out flat. Fold it in half twice, so that it is 1/4 of it's length. Now lay your CORE in the center of the towel. Overlap the ends of the towel over the core at a slight angle. Fold the free edge under a bit then secure it with a piece of packaging tape. (there will be some over hang on the back side to resemble a flowing gown)
Now she is "a lady in waiting".....for a head.
Step 3: HEADS & ARMS
1. Lay your skin colored towel out flat.
2. Roll it from bottom long edge to top long edge. (you should have a long roll)
3. Now twist the roll tightly until it begins to fold onto itself.
4. Keeping it twisted tightly overlap the ends and twist them together once.
5. Now fold the ends to the back side of the twist you just made, and secure it with a rubber band.
6. Repeat these steps with your second skin colored towel. (you should have 2 head/arm pieces made one for the Guy one for the Gal)
Step 4: THE GUY
CORE= Take one of your towels that you selected as your Guy's body and lay it out flat. Fold it in half twice, so that it is 1/4 of it's length. Then roll it from bottom to top. You should have a cylinder shape. Secure it with 1 rubber band at one end, and slightly spread open the opposite end so that it can stand up right nicely.
SUIT= Take your matching towel and lay it out flat. Fold it in half twice, so that it is 1/4 of it's length. Now lay your CORE in the center of the towel. Now roll each end in towards the center.(it will look similar to a hotdog in a bun) Secure the 2nd towel over the core with a rubber band at one end. When it stands upright the rolls give the appearance of legs.
Now let's assemble him before he gets "cold feet."
Step 5: ASSEMBLY
1. Take your Gal & Guy bodies and stand them upright.
2. Create a bit of a hole in the top by spreading open the center of the roll a little. (The top is always the end with the rubber bands)
3. Attach the head by positioning the arm loop in front & tuck the ends of the head/arm piece into this hole.
4. Take your matching wash clothes, (2 for the Gal, 2 for the guy) and fold 2 diagonal corners towards the center.
5. Lay the wash clothe, with the folded side down, over the top of one arm.
6. Tuck one open corner of the wash clothe in the front of the body between the folds, and one open corner in the back of the body. (creating a sleeve) NOTE: The sleeves help secure the head piece into place, so tuck them tightly.
7. Repeat a sleeve for the other arm too.
Step 6: DETAILS
1. Take your lips lollipop and wedge the sucker portion between the fold on the center of the face. (You may have to wrap the candy portion with plastic wrap. Mine came with a wrapper already on it.)
NOTE: if you are using chocolate, wax, or felt lips just use a piece of double sided tape to stick them where you want them.
2. Fashion a set of eyelashes for the Gal, and eyelids for the Guy from black felt. Then place them where you think they look best. No tape is necessary. The felt sticks to the towels on it's own.
3. The hair is up to you. You can use yarn or a bath scrunchy and style them as you like. I prefer to use the scrunchies for the Gal because it gives it a silky look. Attach the hair with either double sided tape or a piece of folded over packaging tape.
NOTE: To do the scrunchy hair just unravel the scrunchy by cutting of the center tie. Gather a few stripes together with a rubber band and then shred the ends a little more with your scissors.
OPTIONAL: You can add other felt accessories such as a tie, or bow tie for the Guy. I've also done flower clips for the gals hair or as a bouquet.