Introduction: Make a Tyrannosaurus Rex (using Plastic Trash)
The world is aware of the enormous amount of plastic trash we are throwing to the environment. And now more than ever, is important to teach in the schools how to reduce, reuse and recycling. This educational project will show how to build a dinosaur using plastic trash available in home. And the best part? It will be a durable and funny toy!
By making an ecodesigned dinosaur, students will be able to recognize building materials in everyday trash, use those materials to create artifacts for school and for fun and apply concepts of reduce, reuse and recycling.
Step 1: Materials
- 1 case for orthodontic retainer (for the head. You can replace it with a computer mouse, but it will be more tricky to build the mouth)
- Plastic caps and cases from shaving foam, liquid detergents, beverage and other plastic stuff (look at the picture)
- Screws, nuts and rings
- 2 plastic circles (for the eyes. I use two from alcoholometer mouthpieces)
- Red rubber or EVA foam (for the tongue)
- For the arms, I use pieces from a damaged Transformer (the legs of an Animated Bumblebee)
Dremel Rotary Tool
And don't forget:
1. If you don't have it, replace it!
2. Use protective equipment (dust mask and goggles)
3. Beware of drilled and soldered hot surfaces
4. Work in a good ventilated area.
5. Always have junk in stock
Step 2: Drilling Joint Holes
Drill holes in the center of the shaving foam and deodorant caps, and in the bottom of the retainer case (for the spinal column)
Drill holes in the upper part of the toothbrush cases (for the legs articulation)
Step 3: Head, Neck and Body
Insert a long screw from the bottom of the retainer case, and thread the caps from foot deodorant and shaving foam.
In the end, screw a ring and a nut.
Step 4: Legs
Drill holes on each side of the body.
Using screws and bolts, attach each leg to each side.
Step 5: Tail
Insert the plastic wheel in the body, and fix it with screws.
Put the beverage cap and fix it with screws. Now, you have the tail.
Step 6: Arms
I make the arms using the hips and legs from a Transformers Animated's Bumblebee action figure (damaged) and a piece from a Genius PC joystick.
Cut the joystick piece in half, making two talons, and attach them in each arm.
Attach one arm in each side of the dinosaurs neck.
Step 7: Face
Use the mouthpieces discs, screws and rings for making the eyes.
Glue the red rubber piece (or red EVA foam) to the mouth, for making the tongue.
And now, YOU HAVE YOUR ECODESIGNED DINOSAUR TOY!