I couldn't sleep, so I made knives. (For Burning Man gifts.)
1. A dull hacksaw or bandsaw blade
2. Electrical tape or really wide heatshrink tubing
1. A piece of paper
2. a ball point pen
3. a sharpie
4. a file or other method to score/cut the blade
5. pliers to break the blade
6. a vise to hold it
7. a grinder to sharpen the blade,
8. and electrical tape to make a handle.
If you are not familiar with grinders or otherwise do not know proper grinder safety,
please do not attempt this and ask someone for assistance.
Submitted by Ace Monster Toys for the Instructables Sponsorship Program
Step 1: Designing the shape
Draw with a pen an outline of the hacksaw blade on the piece of paper. We used a blade so dull that it was described as "polished".
Choose a point shape and any details you may want. We used square cut for these illustrations. Use your hand to figure out where would be comfortable to hold from and where your thumb will go.
Step 2: Marking the blade
Using the paper template, mark on the blade where you plan to cut it, and the thumb notch etc you plan to grind out.
Step 3: Cutting the blade down to size
Score the band with a file at the place(s) you need straight cuts. Then put the blade in a vise to hold it tightly, and use pliers to snap the blade off.
Step 4: Grinding down the blade
We spent about 45 minutes setting up the grinder, but hopefully your grinder is ready to go.
1. Dull any sharpness the blade may still have.
2. Sharpen both sides of the other edge at an angle of 15 degrees. Keep your fingers on the side opposite the grinder while you are
This should only take a few minutes once you set up the grinder.
Step 5: Grind out the thumb indentation
Grind out the thumb indentation. Again, keep your fingers on the side opposite the grinder while you are doing so.
Step 6: Making the 'handle'
Use electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the dull end of the knife to make the handle. Or, you can use some large heat shrink tubing and use that.
Step 7: All done!
Now hand them out to your friends and make everyone happy!