Introduction: Make a Microphone Boom Pole for Under $25
Awhile back, I showed you how to make a very inexpensive microphone shockmount. Several people wanted me to make a pole on which to hold the shockmount and mic, so here it is! It can be built from hardware store parts and will let you hang your mic over or under your actors, just out of frame.
Step 1: Parts List
- Light bulb changing kit
- 1/4" bolt (1 1/2" in length)
- 3/4" PVC coupler
- 1/2" to 3/4" PVC bushing/adapter
- microphone mount
Step 2: Tools
- Dremel (or other rotary tool) with bits
Step 3: Create Thread at End of Pole
Clamp your pole to a table and begin!
- drill pilot hole into end of pole
- cut off plastic threads
- clean up with knife
- expand hole to accommodate bolt
- screw in bolt
- cut off head of bolt
- knock off burrs
- cool with water
- unscrew bolt
- mix epoxy, cover bolt, swab inside of hole with epoxy
- screw in thread
Step 4: Make the Shockmount Holder
- put bushing into coupler
- place coupler into mic mount
- attach pole to mic mount
Step 5: Watch the Video Version
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.