You can make this in an even easier way using a whine bottle (or a beer can, or even a toilet paper roll ): . This instructable will provide a way to make pots in any size and with a punched bottom.
The pots are made by rolling news paper around a template and then punch the bottom to make it keep together. You can also "glue" the pot with a small amount of water. You can do this using a beer can or something else cylindrical with a hole in the bottom. But I decided to make a small tool similar to commercial available alternatives.
English is not my first language so please help me out if something is wrong or just silly - thanks!
Step 1: Materials
- Then you need something to make a hole in the template to be able to punch in the bottom, I used a drill
- I don't know the word, but I had a stick for putting up curtains which I will be using as the punching part
- Then you need a base to mount the punching part onto
- And optionally a small screw
You will also need some basic wood-working tools:
- Some kind of a saw
- Some kind of a drill
- A knife
- Optionally also a screwdriver
An optional construction would be to use one of those plastic feet you put under furniture to avoid scratches in the floor. I think you should use the hard kind, not the kind with felt on top.
Step 2: Drilling
- The whole in the base will be used to fit the punch and might go almost through the base (in my case about 20 mm)
- The whole in the template will be used as matching part for the punch and only needs to be 5 mm (1/5 inch) deep
If you can drill a slightly wider in the template this is good since this will leave space for the pot when punching. If you drill two identical holes you will have to carve a little radius on the punch later to make it work.
Step 3: Mounting the Punch
When I got it to fit I added some wood glue and drilled a small hole from the back and put a screw into it.
The screw is optional but will make it possible to use the tool before the glue dried properly (I was pretty eager to make my pots).
Step 4: Finish Up the Punch
Step 5: Make It Look Good
Step 6: Make Some Planting Pots!
Here is a brief instruction on how to make the pots:
- Cut a strip of paper, in my case 50 cm x 10 cm is good (this is about a feet x 4 inch)
- Roll the paper strip onto the template and leave about 30 mm (an inch) at the end with the punch
- Fold the paper outside the template to form the bottom of the pot
- Then punch the bottom to make it stay in place
- Remove the pot from the template
- Use a small amount of water to "glue" the pot into nice shape
Below are some pots I made...