I found a big speaker and four small ones with the same decoration, so I decided to make a robot lamp. I made the head with a colander found in the back alley of a Chinese restaurant (don't ask).
NOTE: Yes, I know I put the left speaker is in the right arm and the right speaker is in the left arm. "L" for "left" and "R" for "right" is so mainstream...
Step 1: Materials and advices
I used the following stuff:
- 1 big speaker (Logitec): the body
- 2 small speakers with footing (Logitec): the arms. The footing makes a great robot hand.
- 2 small and rectangular speakers (Zenex): for the legs
- 1 Plastic colander (same size of big speaker's top)
- 2 corner brace inside L (2in. x 5/8in.)
- 4 corner brace inside L (1in. x 1/2in.)
- 1 energy-saving compact fluorescent bulb
- 1 light socket with wires (or with screw terminals. As you wish)
- 1 switch
- Nuts, screws and bolts
- Iron washers
- Steel cable (for the antennas)
- 6 plastic beads
- Superglue (cyanoacrylate)
- plastic wheels for chairs
- Weight (for balance. I used a discarded harddrive)
Dremel Rotary Tool
And don't forget:
1. If you don't have it, replace it!
2. Use protective equipment (dust mask and goggles)
3. Beware of drilled and soldered hot surfaces
4. Work in a good ventilated area.
5. Always have junk in stock.
6. Have fun.