Hello! This robot was originally a remote control toy called The Scarab. I had removed the guts and replaced the brains with the EZ-B Bluetooth Robot Controller.
So, you wanna make a robot to freak out your girlfriend or mom? This will do the trick :) Although, I also made a spider robot once that was apparently a lot scarier. I don't want to get off topic, but here is the link to the spider robot in case you are interested! http://www.ez-robot.com/Projects/Robots/Spider-Robot
Okay, so now lets talk Scarab. This was actually a very simple modification!. The existing circuit can be seperated by a header connection (plug). The bottom board (with the female header) is the HBrdige. So you don't even need to purchase a hbridge :)
Once you finish this modification, your robot will be controlled over bluetooth. There are a lot of neat things you can do with it. Use different EZ-Builder controls to add autonomous or attacking scripts. Hide the robot under your bed and when it detects motion on the distance sensor, it can start walking forward.. That will sure make someone scream :D
So first, watch the video and then we'll walk through the instructions...
- Soldering iron
- Screw Drivers
Hot Glue Gun
- EZ-B Bluetooth Robot Controller http://www.ez-robot.com/Shop/View.aspx?id=1
- 1 Mini Servo
- 1 HC-SR04 Distance Sensor
- A Few Servo Cables (8-10)
- Some LEDS (if you want to change the eye color)
Step 1: Step 1
Well! Don't worry, but you'll have to take the robot apart.
- There are 6 screws on the bottom that you will need to remove (also take off the battery holder)
- Seperate the top from the bottom. Be careful, don't break anything but they are fitted together tightly.
- Notice the two circuit boards connected together by a header connection. Seperate the two circuit boards.
- Solder 3 pin servo wires to the header connections from the diagram attached to this step.