Hydroponics, or the art of growing without soil, is pretty darn simple. Water+nutrients+plant= better than dirt. No weeds! No bugs! No over-watering! No gardening smarts required! Just plop your plants in and sit back!
Here's how to build an easy wick hydroponics system with stuff around your house.
Step 1: What you need
- A plant with a somewhat small root-ball.
- An empty spice container, small. The lid must have a flip up top and holes, but the flip-up top can be broken off.
- Lid from another spice container, same size, but no holes
- Gravel or pebbles
- Old T-shirt, sock, or some sort of cotton fabric
- Distilled or bottled water
- Fertilizer that will dissolve in water
- (Optional) black paint
Step 2: Preparing the jar
Then take the other cap, and cut a hole in the center big enough so that the holes in the other cap all show. Finally, tape the caps together.
Step 3: Prepare medium
Step 4: Prepare wicks
Then, loosely braid the long ends (The ends that will be in water) together in a way that they don't come apart. Tie a knot at the end.