This Instructable will cost about $10-$15 (most professional hats are around $40-$50), or less if you have items on hand or are an effective scavenger (or pirate, though I do not condone any unlawful practices of course...).
Step 1: Gather Materials
-A full brimmed sun hat that YOU WILL NOT WEAR AGAIN (I bought mine a few years ago on vacation in Florida for about $10. It's been a little beaten around since)
- Fasteners (I used simple leathercraft rivets, but you could use paper fasteners or something to tie with)
- Tape (if using paper fasteners)
- String or ribbon (I have pictured sued leather ribbon)
- pins (if using ties instead of fasteners)
- feather (optional)
If you have a hat that you want to dye another color, do it the day before to make sure it is dry. I have no idea how to dye anything other than leather, so I just stuck with the natural straw color.
Step 2: Gauge the folds.
Step 3: Begin setting.
1) If you are using a rivets or fasteners, just push through the material. If you aren't using a material like straw, you might need to punch holes in the hat. If you are using fasteners, tape the part of the fastener on the inside of the hat so it doesn't get caught in your hair.
2) if you are going to stitch the hat (for a more authentic look), you will just pin the folds and do all the stitching later.