Note. I will not be including the making of the neck in this instructable, which on hindsight was the most labour intensive part of the build. All it took was a piece if wood a few files lots of love and care and an incredible amount of time.
Step 1: Parts & Tools
A Neck ( I built my neck out of a straight piece of wood that i shaped until i was happy with.)
A small drum. (I originally bought mine from here. Which was ideal.) Try to look for one with an uneven number of tuning pegs as then there will always be a space where the neck will be opposite a tuner where the tailpiece will go.
Tuning Pegs. (I used the cheapest friction pegs i could find from,
A Banjo Tailpiece. (From Here.)
A Bridge. (From here.)
A Ukulele Nut. (From here.)
Small Gauge Fretwire. (From here.)
And some strings.
You will also need some excess wood for finishing and some wood screws.
General woodworking tools
Step 2: Attach the Tailpiece
Then replace the existing tensioner with the new one!
Step 3: Attach The Neck
Note: The neck needs to be tilted slightly backwards so it is not completely flat with the drum. This will help solve action problems.
Step 4: Final fit and "Teething problems."
Stringing this was a challenge as i appeared to have made it to my own scale length... This i was able to remedy intonationally, as the bridge is movable on the drum skin. But it also meant the strings weren't as long as I'd liked and only just fitted the instrument.
All in all i think this is quite good for a first attempt and sounds and plays reasonably well.
I may also eventually varnish the neck, but oiling it is a simpler and easier option.