While on a recent vacation in Hong Kong we got to try this Mango Pomelo Sago dessert. It was so tasty and we want to try and replicate it at home. It's a cold soup with a mango base with different fruits in it.
According to Wikipedia and based on our experience in Hong Kong, it was invented by Lei Garden and different variations exist depending on the restaurant.
This is our attempt and I think we got very close!!
Step 1: Video
Check out the video too
Step 2: Ingredients
- 1 cup shredded pumelo (Chinese grapefruit)
- 4 yellow mangos also called Ataulfo mangos
- 50 grams of sago pearls (get this at Asian grocery stores)
- 2 cans of Mango Nectar approximately 2 cups
- 3/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 tbs sugar mixed with enough water to make a paste
Step 3: Prepare the Fruit and Sago
- Cut up 4 yellow mangos in small pieces, set aside 3/4 cup of the pieces and place the rest in a blender.
- Shred 1 cup of pomelo and save for later.
- In a medium sized pot boil 2 cups of water, then add 50 grams dried of sago pearls, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then let it sit covered until the sago is translucent.
- Strain and rince the sago under cold water, set aside
Step 4: Make the Dessert
- Add 3/4 cup of evaporated milk to the mangos in the blender.
- Blend until mostly smooth and transfer to a large bowl
- Add the mango nectar and mix
- Then add the sago pearls
- Add the sugar paste mixture
- Add the 3/4 cup of mango pieces that were saved from earlier
- Lastly add to the mixture 1 cup of shredded pumelo and mix
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Dish, serve and enjoy!
It came out great and depending on how thick and how much fruit you like in yours you can add more pumelo and mango pieces. The taste can be described and refreshing and cool!