loading

You can see the spray foam through the hole where the old grate for hvac used to be and the old wood from the wall that used to be there, not to mention the grand canyon like gap between the floors and the doors. NOT pretty and very obvious and very noticeable. These thresholds alone have kept me from taking pictures and revealing my kitchen and my living room! So, why did it take so long for us to finally get this done? Because it is thankless work This is the perfect example of a job no one appreciates or notices when it is complete lol Which is, of course, the ultimate compliment because now it looks like they are SUPPOSED to look!

Step 1: Using Rasps and a Bench Clamp

We started by calling around at the local lumber yards looking for door thresholds because I knew I had seen them before. No one had any in stock but they could order them and a six foot length would have been about $20. The cost didn’t bother us so much but the wait did. Joe got inspired after I explained to him exactly how they had to be (I love it when he gets inspired and I just run along after him to see if I can help) and he headed for the barn with our measurements. With some digging around I came up with the wood that would work and he clamped it on the bench, found my Grandpa’s old rasps and got to serious work!

I can’t even begin to tell you how cool it was to do something like this so entirely by hand. A friend of Joe’s stopped by the house not two days after we finished these thresholds and asked Joe, “Where did you get those old wood door thresholds?!” lol, it is just to cool that we made them While Joe was at it hacking off two corners of the boards I went on a search for patching materiel for the floors. When it comes to patches I really just look for something that will work because I know full well that no patch is going to be perfect. Around the time I finally came up with what I needed Joe had finished. You can see I had him take off the two opposite corners of the board so it would lie like a ramp.

Step 2: Sanding, Staining and Then Sealing to Completion

With the boards complete we went in and cut all of them to length and while I put the patches in (cut long so I could pound them in and know for sure they wouldn’t move ever) Joe got to work getting the thresholds right for each of the doors. There was a certain amount of sanding he did to make sure the doors would open etc. Then, with my patches installed and his door thresholds installed I got to work sanding everything down one more time and staining it all to match the floors. So much better!! Now I can finally get to show you guys our kitchen reveal next week! See you then!

About This Instructable

3,369views

37favorites

Bio: After fifteen months of renovation we took my grandparents' 100 year old farm, the house my mom grew up on and made it a place ... More »
More by GrandmasHouseDIY:Hanging Flower Boxes in Our Master! Wood Working DIY Mahogany Counter Tops Out of Plywood! Covering Up a Very Ugly Ceiling With Styrofoam Ceiling Tiles 
Add instructable to: