Things you'll need:
- 2-3 Friends who like to dance in mud!
- A 2 meter x 2 meter square tarp. A 3mx3m will also do if you would like to mix more with more people!
- 2 shovels (or however many people would like to dig)
- 2 pairs of wet-resistant rubber boots
- 2 x 5 gallon buckets of sand*
- 2 x 5 gallon buckets of clay* (this is the sticky stuff!)
- 2 x 5 gallon buckets of water
- 1 straw bale
- 1 wheelbarrow for transporting the mix
*In most places, you can just substitute sand and clay for abandoned soil. Most soil is very rich in sand and clay along with many other useful sticky elements that help stick the plaster together. So just dig a hole anywhere if you do not have access to sand or clay. Check out the Gardener's World site under References to see how you can find out what is in your soil.
The Natural Building Blog: http://naturalbuildingblog.com/
Straw Plaster and its Uses: http://www.earthsweethome.com/plaster.htm
Earthened Homes from around the Earth: http://naturalhomes.org/
Soil Composition and Formation Information: http://nerrs.noaa.gov/doc/siteprofile/acebasin/html/envicond/soil/slform.htm
The Hungarian Permaculture Forum: http://www.permaforum.hu/permablog
What kind of soil do you have?: http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/structural/find-out-your-soil-type/1118.html
Next step: Preparing the mix...