The idea behind this system is that there is no way for any back wash to enter the water and the water staying fresh.
To start with you need the following items:
- PVC down pipe (2 lengths to suit your situation)
- PVC 90 deg bend to fit the down pipe
- 2 end caps to fit your down pipe
- PVC cement
- watering nipples
- rubber gloves for protection
- 2-3 x wall brackets to fit your down pipe and screws (not shown in picture)
Step 1: Bottom pipe
Pick one length of PVC pipe to become the bottom part of the L shape. If necessary cut to size so it will fit the location where you are planning to install this system.
Now drill holes along a straight line. Leave enough space on either end to fit an end cap and the 90 deg bend without overlapping any holes. The diameter of the holes should you slightly smaller than the diameter of the threaded part of the watering nipples.
I generally space the holes far enough apart so one to two chickens can get to each watering nipple at the same time.