Introduction: Making That Optical Mouse Work
Few days ago I was facing a deadline on a project and my computer mouse started acting up. It would skip or lagg etc. It was a real pain to get it to move where I wanted and different mouse pads didn't change a thing. Didn't have spare mouse, one used by my wife was too small for my hand and visiting nearest computer store would take an hour which I didn't have at the moment.
Step 1: Tackle
Next thing I tried was to clean it up. This made no significant difference so I opened it up (had small Phillips screw driver at hand). Cleaned it inside out, assembled and still no difference. I was about to get out and buy new one when I looked a bit closer at the bottom side of the mouse. I noticed how sliding pads have completely worn out. That was it. The sensor in the mouse eventually got out of focus and could not register movements because what ever it saw was blurred. I tried to hold it slightly higher or slide it with folded paper under one edge and it worked.
Step 2: Solution
Getting solution was very simple. I taped some folder paper to bottom side of the mouse but although it worked I didn't like the noise made by edge of the tape ripping against mouse pad. Then I tried band aid (ok, I know how it sounds but it's true) which was softer. Actually I placed two (not shown in picture, back side left bare to show wear). This introduced lift to both front and back side of the mouse and reduce friction (height change about 0.5 - 1mm). This was quick and dirty fix but it allowed me to work comfortably and submit the work on time.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.