Have you ever wanted to make the cake from Portal, but don't care for any of the recipes out there? I have found a solution! Whether it's a treat for yourself, or, like me, you have friends that love portal as much as you do (and are in need of a birthday cake), this is a delicious, customizable recipe for the perfect Portal cake. :]
NOTE: This was my first attempt at a portal cake, and it went quite well! I'm a complete amateur when it comes to baking, so anyone should be able to make this cake without a problem.
Step 1: Gather your materials!
This recipe made a White Cake with Coconut Filling and Chocolate Frosting on the outside. But, as I mentioned, it can be customized to whatever you prefer. For example, the coconut filling can be replaced with any filling you want (or just frosting!), as it's not going to show until the cake is cut. As for the Chocolate Frosting on the outside, you can easily make whatever flavor you want and just combine some dark food coloring to it. Your chocolate shavings are going to cover and hide most of the icing!
For this cake will need the following:
- 1 Generic Cake Mix (Any box will do. Baking from scratch is also an option. Doesn't matter!)
- 7 Ounces of Cream Cheese (cold)
- 7 Ounces of Butter (room temperature)
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup of Shredded Coconut (sweetened)
- 4 Ounces of Bittersweet Baking Chocolate
- 1 Tube of White Decor Icing
- 4 Ounces of Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (chocolate shavings will work too, if you can find them.)
- 8 Maraschino Cherries (no stems!)
- 1 Solid White Candle (longer than average is better)
Now, this recipe could be doubled very easily. My cake was only going to feed two people, so it ended up being quite small (with a lot of icing leftover!). But there is enough icing in this recipe that to double it all you need is a second box of cake mix and a second tube of white decor icing. ^_^