Thought not that common, male to male A-A USB cables are used to connect USB devices to a PC or another USB device.
My old USB Hub need it for external power supply to provide full power to every port.
- 2 spare usb cable, or 1 spare usb cable and a type A usb cable plug (I've got mine from two dead mouse)
- a multimeter (a continuity tester works fine too)
- Soldering equipment (cheap 30W soldering iron works fine)
- Electrical tape or heat shrink tubes
- Wire strippers and/or cutting pliers (scissors as alternative)
- Hot Glue or superglue/cianoacrilic glue