A few weeks ago, my girlfriend and I had some friends over for a kickback. While we were out shopping for snacks, we found Capri Sun on sale. Capri Sun is a brand of flavored juice pouches here in the US; for many of us Millenials, Capri Sun is highly reminiscent of elementary school lunches.
So we decided to make a drink with the Capri Sun for our party. Since it was summer, we landed on the idea of popsicles, and since it was a party, we decided to add alcohol! And with only a few hours until the party started, the method we used is simple enough for most people to pull off with items already in their kitchen.
Step 1: Ingredients
• Capri Sun (we used Pacific Cooler flavor, but you could use any that you think would mix well with the coconut flavor of Malibu)
• Malibu Liqueur (a coconut-flavored rum-based drink)
• Shot glasses
• Ice Cube tray
• Mixing Bowl
Step 2: Create the Popsicle Mix
Empty the contents of one juice pouch in a mixing bowl and add one shot of Malibu.
Step 3: Popsicle Molds
Ice Cube Trays
• Good when you're short on time - the smaller liquid amounts freeze much faster (my tray took only 2 hours).
• Produces many bite sized popsicle morsels - good for larger crowds
• Doesn't produce full-sized "proper" popsicles
• Produces larger popsicles (I used double-sized shot glasses for a more traditional popsicle shape)
• Takes much longer to freeze (4 hours at least)
Step 4: Freeze!
Step 5: Popsicle Sticks
Wait an hour or so after putting the molds into the freezer, then insert the toothpick / Capri Sun straw / popsicle stick. You want to make sure the popsicle is starting to freeze and set up before inserting the stick. If its still too liquid-y, the stick won't stand up properly and your popsicle will come out off center. If the popsicle mix is starting to appear cloudy and crystalline, you can insert the stick.
If you chose to use the ice tray, you may not need a popsicle stick. Our ice tray produced gum drop-shaped bite-sized popsicles that our guests preferred to eat without a stick. It depends on the size and shape of your mold.
Step 6: Waiting Time...
Step 7: Enjoy!
Once the popsicles are ready, enjoy them! The taste is fun, and my guests all said it brought them back to their younger years. If you have fond memories of Capri Sun, these treats are a fun way to satisfy your inner child (and your outer adult).
If you make a particularly good flavor combination, be sure to mention it the comments. I would love to try new versions.