First - let’s say I have collecting issues with marbles. I have bags and bags of marbles – buckets and buckets of marbles. I have marbles everywhere, I love marbles – there, I have said it.
I wanted to share some of my marble and metal pendants; three versions
1. The bottle cap style
2. The sun burst style
3. The tab style (I wish I had a fancier name for this one)
I will be showing an instructables on cut marbles (not completely round) to make 3 pieces of jewelry.
Remember to practice and use shop safety – use protective eyeglasses, dust masks and gloves. Know how to safely use the equipment before you start. No loose clothing, hair or objects around moving items. Remove your rings.
Step 1: Items Used
- Marbles – American made Glass marbles – called shooters – approximately 9/16 inches in diameter. Fireballs, blue mist, cats eyes – they are all good
- Thin Brass Stock
- Diamond wheel cutter – wet saw with 12 inch blade
- Disc punch
- Doming block with dome punch
- Tin snips – light duty
- Sandpaper – aka emery – I like wet versions – grits on hand- 100 220 400 600
- 8mm ring and 5mm ring
- Small pick – used on the sunburst version
- Necklace material – can be chain, leather, string
Step 2: Get started cut the marbles
I started by selecting my marbles; I tried to get a variety to pick from and cut extra (just in case). My goal was to pick the best color and pattern to face forward. I used a diamond wet saw to cut the marbles slightly off center, leaving the larger side to keep for mounting.