Introduction: Mario Party 10 Character Hats
There is a lot of stuff out there to make Mario hats, but the options are seriously lacking in the simple and cheap department. My son's birthday party theme this year was Mario Party 10 and I wanted each child to be able to choose one of the 12 characters to play as for the party. I needed a really inexpensive and quick way to get hats for each character. I found through my search for ideas on the web that someone bought those foam visors, had the kids wear them upside down and but the Mario M on them. I really liked this idea but the visors weren't readily available in stores in all the colors I needed and they were $1 each. I wanted something a little easier on my wallet.
I bought one visor and one crown visor to use for reference and a package of foam paper in a variety of colors for $4.99 at hobby lobby.
Step 1: The Patterns
I had planned to trace the visor on my foam paper but the variety pack I bought was in a size too small to trace the whole visor. There are foam sheets available in large sizes but they come in packs with only 5 different colors and cost the same as the smaller sheets that come with more.
So I had to make my own pattern so that it would fit. That would take care of Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, Wario, Toad, and Toadette. A crown pattern was simple to make and would work for all 3 princesses. the tough part was figuring out how to make DK, Yoshi, and Spike. With trial and error, I made patterns for them as well.
I have attached all the patterns and labeled them for you. Print them and cut them out to use to trace onto the foam.
Step 2: Getting Started
1. Gather all the supplies you will need:
2. Trace the main patterns on the correct colors of foam.:
Luigi, Yoshi, Spike: green
Rosalina: gray or silver
Peach and Daisy: yellow
**There wasnt enough yellow in my pack so I did Peach in pink instead**
3. Cut them all out
4. Hole punch them.
Step 3: String
1. Cut lengths of stretchy cord to the size you want
2. Cut out 4 circles out of each color of foam you used. The scraps should be enough to get all the circles you need. They just need to be big enough to cover the hole you punched.
3. Tie a length of cord to each hat through the 2 holes on the ends.
4. Turn the hat so that the clean side/ side without pen marks is up.
5. Place one circle under the hat directly under the hole.
6. Squeeze a little hot glue into the hole.
7. Lay the extra cord from tieing across the hole and hold it there.
8. Place another circle over the hole and press together tightly.
9. Cut off the excess cord.
10. Repeat with the second hole and then with all the hats.
Step 4: Details and Done
Now its time to make all the little details.
1. Trace and cut out all the detail patterns.
The white part of the hat for all 4 guys
The "L" is for Luigi and Waluigi : green and yellow
The "M" is for Mario and Wario: red and dark blue
The hair for Spike: light blue
The eyes for yoshi: white
Pupils for yoshi eyes: black **also cut out 2 small circles of white for highlights in eye**
Flower for Daisy: white
Pointy flowerish shape for Rosalina: Dark Blue
Inner gems for Rosalina and Daisy: red and light green
Gems for Peach and outer gems for Daisy and Rosalina: 4 blue, 3 red
Circles for Toad and Toadette: 2 red, 2 white
** One whole one and cut the second one in half**
2. Hot glue the gems to the flowers for Rosalina and Daisy, Yoshis highlights to pupils to eyes, and the letters to the white parts for the hats.
3. Hot glue all the details to the hats as shown in the photos.
That's all! All 12 characters from Mario Party 10 for the party. I made 2 sets to be sure to have enough for all the guests.
If you like this Instructable, please be sure to let me know in the comments below!