The ingredients for this recipe are:
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 x 28 Gram packets of gelatin (2 x 1 Oz. )
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Powdered sugar (for dusting the sticky goo)
A stainless steel heavy bottom pot works well. Later, you might use a mixer in the pot so non stick may get scratched.
Cook, stirring as needed to prevent scorching and make a syrup, until soft ball stage is reached. You can determine the correct timing in one of 2 ways:
1) Soft ball test: take a bit of syrup using a spoon. Drop the syrup in a cup of cold water. If you can form a soft ball in the water by gathering the syrup you are there. Before this, syrup will not "bunch up".
2) Using a thermometer: 115 Celsius (240 Fahrenheit)
When syrup is done, remove from stove and stir in the gelatin emulsion. Stir thoroughly.
If in a hurry, you might want to place the pot's bottom in a sink full of cool water.
Once cool enough to touch pot with your hand - move on.
Add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
You can add food coloring at this point.
I tried with mint once - works nice. Almond extract didn't :-/
Mix until it fluffs up and very viscous. When you tilt the pot it should ooze down but slowly.