Introduction: Masala Urad Dal Vadi | Amritsari Wadiyan
Masala Urad Dal Vadi or Amritsari Wadiyan is an authentic Punjabi dish. Use this vadi with any curry recipe especially with Potato and enjoy!!!
Urad Dal – ½ Kg Fresh chopped coriander – 1 cup Ginger – small pcs Salt – as per taste (should be towards higher side) Black pepper power- 1 tsp Aesfoetida powder/ hing powder- ½ tsp Red chilli flakes – 1- 2 tsp Cumin seeds/Zeera – 2 tsp Clove, Cinnamon stick, black Cardamom – 50 gms in total Grated bottle gourd / Lauki – 1 kg
Step 1: Method
1. Soak the Urad dal for 2-3 hrs. Before soaking, wash the urad dal 2-3 times. After soaking, grind the dal to form a coarse paste. Beat the material till it becomes light and fluffy.
2. To test the material, dip a small drop of paste in water. If the paste floats, then material is ready and no more beating is required.
3. Remove excess water from grated bottle gourd and add it the dal paste.
4. Make a fine powder of cumin seeds, Clove, Cinnamon stick, black Cardamom and add this powder in the paste.
5. Mix the mixture nicely with black pepper powder, fresh coriander, grated ginger and hing powder. Add salt as the last step.
6. Place a plastic sheet on a flat surface and put small portion of vadi material on sheet. Place the complete material on sheet at regular intervals.
7. Put this sheet in direct sunlight. Cover with net cloth to avoid dust and dirt. Keep these vadis in sunlight till these are dried completely.
8. Ensure the vadis are completely dried so that no portion is wet, as it might get fungus.
9. Once dried, store masala vadis in air tight container.