Grade range: 3-5
Prep: Cut many 1/2 sticks
Setup: Set up glue guns
This project will require two 1-hour classes.
Start-of-class lecture (day 1)
- Demonstrate your mechanical hand and the design challenge
- Explain how it is operated and how it grasps
- Show step-by-step how to make only the hand (steps 2-3)
- Show step-by-step how to finish the mechanical hand
- Remind students of the design challenge and encourage them to try new ideas
Step 1: Materials
Step 2: Build the hinge
The straw pieces act as spacers to prevent the fingers from colliding.
Step 3: Make the fingers
The two other fingers are built similarly on either side of the center finger. Make sure that the half-sticks on the outside fingers are glued on at an angle that is inverse to the center finger.
On the 'back' of the hand, glue a half-stick to the two outside fingers. These two fingers will be actuated at the same time.