I'm going to show you, how to make an authentic early medieval tunic. These tunics were worn as bottom layer of the clothing or just as a shirt if you were a common folk.
It's really easy to make one and it is comfortable and it has a simple pattern!
(I made the pattern in MS paint, so I hope you will decode it right! :D )
Note: mammoths were already dead in these times, this photo is from Skyrim. Just in case someone would have an objection :D
Note2: Click here, to find out how to make that cool hat ;)
So...you will need:
- Linen cloth
- thread and needle
- colorful cotton thread (optional)
- Take some measurements of your body.
- Draw a pattern according to your dimmensions.
- Cut all the parts out of fabric. That makes one long rectangle for body part (Don't forget to cut a hole for your head!), two rectangles for sleeves which will be folded in half, two squares for armpits which will be folded by a diagonal line and finaly two rectangles as wedges. These will be cut by diagonal, so in the end they'll make an isosceles triangle.
- First, join the main rectangular body part together and sew sleeves to it. Then add the squares to the armpit place. After that add wedges and you are done!
- Optional - you can add some decoration. Embroidery or tablet weaved ribbon etc... I wear this as a bottom layer of my costume, so I just added some colored thread and made some simple waves design.
I hope you like this instructable and that it was clear enough although it was short one. Just look at the pictures or ask me if you will encounter any troubles.
I'll be glad for comments!