Introduction: Medu Vadai : a Tasty South Indian Snack
Medu Vadai is a South Indian snack food made with split Black gram lentils as the main ingredient. It is served with other dishes during breakfast or as an evening snack with coconut chutney.
Step 1: Soak Black Gram Lentils
Take about one cup of Black gram lentils in a vessel. Add water and allow it soak for about two hours.
Step 2: Make Batter
After about two hours, wash the lentils and using a mixer grinder make a fine paste. Do not add any water. The water absorbed by the lentils during soaking is enough to make a suitable batter for making Medu Vadai.
Transfer the batter from the mixer grinder to a bowl.
Step 3: Other Ingredients
- Two medium sized Onions
- A bunch of Curry leaves
- Two to three green chilies (As per your taste)
Chop the onions, curry leaves and green chilies into small pieces.
Step 4: Medu Vadai Mix
- Add a teaspoon of Cumin seed powder to the batter in the bowl.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now add the finely chopped onions, curry leaves and green chilies to the batter.
- Mix well using a ladle.
The Medu Vadai batter is ready
Step 5: Add Batter Shaped Like Donuts in Hot Oil
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan
- Apply little oil to your hand.
- Take little amount of batter, spread in your palm and make a little hole in the center with a finger.
- Then drop it slowly into the hot soil. You can add four or five pieces at a time in the oil.
Step 6: Deep Fry
- Deep fry the Medu Vadai. Turn them around in oil so that all sides cook properly.
- When the outer area is fried to a brown color, remove from oil and strain out the excess oil.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.