Introduction: Merlot Chicken , Slow Roasted
A tasty way to prepare a roaster chicken.
Step 1: Ingredients
10 pound roaster chicken
one bottle of any priced merlot
bunch of asparagus
1 large onion
extra virgin olive oil
2- 2 gallon zip-lock bags
Step 2: Marinate
I think that this step is best done in the kitchen sink, it can can a tiny bit messy, with chicken germs and all.
1. take all the gizzards and junk out and discard them. let the juices drain for a minute and then place the chicken in the bag.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of ground pepper
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 bottle of merlot
3. Zip up the bag, and try to turn the chicken around and get the ingredients good and mixed
4. For good measure, I let as much air out of the bag, and then place it inside of another bag. This will marinate for 24 hours in your fridge. Go ahead and turn the chicken over once or twice during this time.
Step 3: Preparing the Veggies
cutting the vegetables
1. slice the onion into 5 1/4 inch steaks
2. slice the potatoes in the same fashion, and then quarter those pieces
3. slice the lemon into 1 1/2 inch piece
4. chop the ends off the asparagus, so that they are no longer than 6 inches
5. season all of the ingredients with a little salt, pepper and olive oil
Step 4: The Assembly
get out a glass baking pan approximately 9x17, and lightly coat the bottom with olive oil
1. arrange the onions in the middle of the pan, making a pedestal for the bird to roast on
2. arrange the potatoes around the pan, trying to stay single layer
3. place the bird in the middle of the pan, on top of the onions
4. place the lemon into the bird, and then put as many asparagus into the bird, tops first. try to stretch the skin over the hole as best you can.
5. sprinkle a light coat of salt onto the chicken, then pour about half the juices from the bag into the pan, but not directly onto the chicken.
Step 5: Cooking and Eating the Bird
1. Put the bird into the oven a 275 degrees for 2 and 1/2 hours
2. half way through, turn the potatoes and lightly drizzle olive oil over the bird.
3. take out of oven, and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.