These ants are about 25cm long, and 20cm wide, constructed entirely out of scrap or salvaged steel. I started off with a single prototype and then did batch building, inconsistencies in the number of ants in each photo are because of this.
The method of painting should ensure they remain rust free for at least 5 years, probably a lot longer, even in a cold humid climate.
I am not a biologist, these ants are not anatomically correct, probably the wrong shade of red, and carrying the wrong kind of leaf.
Asides from correcting my abysmal entomology knowledge, I would love to read any comments you may have.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
You may be able to get away with using less tools than I used, so I shall list them in order of usefulness.
Hammer and anvil
Metal working vice
Metal punch (aka nibbler)
Clamps, lots of clamps
Improvise, or at a last resort, buy.
Sheet steel - cd drive cases for the Ants (2mm thickness), back cover a gas heater for the leaves (1mm thickness)
Steel rod - 2mm diameter, allow about 30cm for each pair of legs, this is hard to come by in terms of scrap, my stock is salvages from a friend of a friend's workshop that was closing down.
Priming paint - Zinc based preferably, it's proven rust proof for me.
Finishing paints - Whatever colours you desire, "Hammerite" is a good choice for outdoor purposes.
Step 2: Getting Started, Bodies and Leaves
I recommend knocking together a prototype if you are planning on making a batch of several similar pieces, it'll save correcting mistakes later on.
For the clarity of instuctions however, I'm going to present them as if they were all done at the same time.
Clean up your scrap metal, so long as it's rust free, it doesn't matter what state it's in. My source of metal for the ant bodies was scrap cd drive cases, which have plenty of little indentations and ridges that needed to be hammered out before you start.
Grind or file the metal down to bare metal any parts that will be welded. I left as much of the coating on as possible, as it's another layer of rust protection
I just drew these out on the metal by eye, cut them out, cut slits to help the curves, then hammered them into submission.
The leaves are made from a slightly thinner metal, to stop the centre of gravity being too high. I found a metal punch tool that, after a lot of punches, resulted in some fairly realistic looking nibble marks.
Step 3: Heads and Feelers
The feelers are short lengths of steel rod, slotted through holes in the head, and spot welded in place.
As you can see, the spot welder was set a little too high on this one, but they are nice and secure now.
Leave a bit of metal for the neck, then spot weld it onto the body, you now have a intoxicated insect.
Step 4: Legs
I did all this with the spot welder, before realising that the joints weren't strong enough and going over it all with the MIG welder.
Bend the legs into shape, probably using the vice and a hammer to get the hard angles required. I also gave each 'knee' and foot a blob of metal with the MIG welder.
Get the metal tab clamed to the ant's body, I used a deep C mole grip, and weld it firmly into place. The legs can still be bent into position, but it's much easier to do it before welding.
You should have something that looks vaugely insect like, and probably quite scary close up.
If your insects are going to live outside, on the grass or soil, you could add a spike underneath to plant them firmly in place.
Step 5: Leaves
It may help to cut a slit into the leaf, which can slot into the slit of the jaws before welding. This is a fairly weak point in the design, as the leaf has a lot of surface area which will get it blown around.
Step 6: Painting, Stage 1
Make sure every nook and cranny is covered, no bare metal should be visible once the priming is done.
Let this dry for 24 hours before touching it again, preferably somewhere warm and dry.
Step 7: Painting, Part Two
To get a bit of texture on the bodies, I mixed some coarse dry sand with the glossy red paint.
I used hammerite smooth finish red metal paint, which should also help resist rust.
I used three shades of green on my leaves, a dark green base coat, a light green set of veins, and a glittery green paint for highlights.
Again, all hammerite type paints, let them dry for 24 hours between coats.
Step 8: Finished, Future Improvements.
My ants will be staying inside until summer, though I have faith in the rust proof paint, it seems pointless exposing them to the cold and wet when there's nobody outside to appriciate them.
More of them.
Smaller ants, climbing up a steel braided cable perhaps
Step 9: Other Projects
Missing from this selection are a rose, a tulip, a butterfly and a praying mantis. Which don't live here anymore