I have called the project the MicroSlice.
What are the features of the MicroSlice?
- The MicroSlice has a work area of 50mm x 50mm (2" x 2").
- It can cut paper and engrave wood & plastic.
- Open Hardware.
- Uses the Arduino UNO R3.
- All the software used by the MicroSlice, including the graphics program, is Open Source, and free to use!
- There is a 300mw 635nm Red Laser Diode, like you'd find inside a DVD-RW drive, which does the cutting & engraving.
- It comes as a kit to build at home, at a Hackspace, or with your local Maker group.
- There are 97 Laser-Cut parts in the kit!
- It will work with your Raspberry Pi.
The MicroSlice made the Grand Prize in the 2013 RadioShack Microcontroller Contest!
Massive thanks to everyone who voted, and of course to Radioshack for the super prizes :)