Recently I had to get my wrist watch repaired as it fell down from stairs. Guess what, it was a small misalignment of a watch gear, so the watch guy repaired it in front of me. He used a a small lamp to see details inside the watch and while I was watching it with curiosity, I noticed how cool all those gears were looking as the light was peeking from gear teeth. There my friend sparked an idea of making something like what I call as Mind Gear Lighted Wall Fixture.
If you Google watch gears, you will know how i got the idea.
Luckily I had enough cardboard left after I made this Lamp. So I decided to use that. Initially my idea was to only make something that shows gears but as I progressed,the idea of making it Mind Gear evolved.
So lets get started.
Step 1: Required stuff
- 2 big cardboard sheets (Mine is 45x25 inches), you have to decide this size by yourself as it depends on the size of the fixture you want to make. Luckily I had a Triple wall sheet of that size.
- A heavy duty cutter.
- Some glue like Elmer's or Fevicol.
- 2 Toilet roll cardboard rolls.
- Acrylic colors metallic shades of Black(Keep 2 bottles of 15g at least), Silver, Gold and Copper.
- Acrylic medium for color density.
- A big geometrical compass or engineering compass, luckily I got a wooden one from the store which was big enough for me.
- OPTIONAL: Hot glue gun and sticks (I chose this to speed up gluing otherwise normal glue is sufficient).
- LED strip lights (about a 3-4 feet).
- Some electric wire
- Soldering Iron and other related stuff like wire and flux. (If you can get the soldering done at a local electrical store, you may not need it)
- Some painting brushes (I used size 6 and 12).
- OPTIONAL : A drill and hole saw (If you can cut good holes in cardboard, you can leave it. I found it useful).
- A Pencil.
- An insulated tape.
- Some very basic drawing skill (I am not really very good at drawing).
- Our best friend patience for all time support :-)
- Lots of drinking water to keep our mind gears hydrated ;-)
- Some green tea, chai or coffee would be a plus :-)