The Thunderfighter or simply the Starfighter is the main strike fighter of the Earth Defense Directorate against the Draconian Empire. A variation of this is the Quad fighter, seating four occupants instead of the regular single or two-seater in tandem configuration.
The Thunderfighter popsicle stick mini model was another simple build. There were only nine (9) major components to complete the model requiring only a few hours and five (5) instructable steps to assemble. The tiniest parts were the wing tips made from toothpicks that the Dremel moto tool made quick work shaping it. The single biggest delay in construction was the long wait for the Elmers white glue to cure.
This particular model is dedicated to our friends from deviantart and Gerard Duffy aka Taranis who painstakingly rendered the schematics and 3-D model images respectively of the Thunderfighter. The images and schematics are featured in Step 3 of this instructable.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
Tools used for this project were:
- Dremel MotoTool 3000 and MiniMite with the following attachments:
- 1/2" & 1/4" drum sander with fine/coarse grit
- disc sander with fine/coarse grit
- #125 high speed cutter
- #932 grinding stone
- Regular cut-off wheel
Step 2: Schematics and Images
The best images that were used for the build were schematics from the deviantart collection and 3-D renderings from Taranis. Below are the URL for the schematics and 3-D models:
The 3-D images from Taranis were exceptionally helpful in determining the details of the fuselage, canopy and engine/weapons pylons shape and features. I really appreciate the quarter views and various perspectives in the 3-D renderings. Again, my sincerest appreciation to the images and schematic plans provider!:)
Step 3: The Airframe and Fuselage
The cockpit canopy was from two (2) layers of sandwiched wooden coffee stirrers. The laminated single piece was cut into a coffin-shape using an olfa cutter and finished with a disc sander attachment in a moto tool.
The ventral cockpit housing was from a single, thick wooden coffee stirrer sanded into shape with a drum sander and disc sander attachment in a moto tool.
Another layer of regular popsicle stick for the rear top and rear bottom parts of the airframe was shaped using an olfa cutter and a cutting wheel attachment in a moto tool. The cutting wheel was used to carve a notch on the rear top part of the airframe that should fit the top cockpit canopy. The rear top part was glued to the rear end of the base airframe and shaped with a disc sander attachment using Taranis' 3-D images as reference.
The same cutting wheel attachment was also used to carve a similar notch on the bottom rear part of the airframe to fit the ventral cockpit housing. The bottom rear part was glued to the bottom rear part of the base airframe and similarly shaped using a disc sander attachment in a MiniMite moto tool.
The chevron-shape of the rear end was made using a 1/4" drum sander, cutting wheel and disc sander attachment in a MiniMite.
Although not illustrated, the chevron was finished using a #932 griniding stone attachment.
Finally, the cockpit canopy and ventral cockpit housing were glued to the top and bottom airframe respectively. The rear end of the cockpit canopy and ventral cockpit housing should fit in the slots made at the rear top and rear bottom parts of the base airframe.
Step 4: Weapons/Engine Pylons and Wings
After shaping the engine exhausts, the pylon was detached from the sandwiched coffee stirrer using an Olfa cutter. The pylon was roughly shaped like a dagger with a coarse grit, drum sander attachment. The final shape was rounded and finished with a fine grit, drum sander attachment and fine disc sander in a moto tool. Two (2) pylons were made for one Thunderfighter model.
A wooden tongue depressor was sanded thin to make the two (2) delta wings and the two(2) auxillary wings. The two (2) auxillary wings were patterned from the Step 2 schematics and cut to shape with an Olfa cutter. The two (2) auxillary wings were for mounting at a 45-degree angle at the end of each pylon before the engine exhaust in Step 5.
The two (2) thin delta wings were traced from the Step 2 schematics and sliced with an Olfa Cutter. The delta wings were for mounting at the side of each of the two (2) engine pylons during final assembly (Step 5).
The tiny wing tips at the end of each of the two (2) auxillary wings were from thinly shaped toothpicks. A disc sander attachment in a Minimite was used to grind the toothpick to a very thin shape. The same attachment was used to sharpen both ends of each wing tip.
Step 5: Final Assembly
The twin pylons were added first. I made sure that the alignment of the pylons to the fuselage was correct by referring the assembled pieces to the Step 2 schematics and images.
The auxillary wings were added next. I used three layers of spare popsicle sticks to prop up the assembled fuselage while the glue binding the auxillary wings to the pylons dried. Three layers were sufficient to support the 45-degree position of the auxillary wings with the engine/weapons pylons.
The delta wings were added after the white glue binding the auxillary wings with the left and right engine/weapon pylons have set. Finally, the wing tips at the end of each auxillary wings were set in place.
And there you have it, a Thunderfighter for Buck Rogers ready to take on the Draconian Marauders!