Picture of Mini Camping Stove
Stove Collage.jpg
This is a project that started from NK5's Instructable. Then I saw benniblueyes's videos and I was hooked. Then I stumbled upon Zen Stoves and got a ton of ideas.

So now I present to you my "Sideburner Jet Stove." This stove is of my own design, a jet stove that you can use as a pot-stand itself. This stove is great if you want a lightweight stove or just to stay warm. (Just please don't use it in enclosed spaces, otherwise nasty carbon monoxide might get you.) I have entered this Instructable into the Stay Warn Contest, so please vote for me. ;)

This stove is a mix between an sideburner stove and a pressurized jet stove. Denatured alcohol is the preferred fuel, but rubbing alcohol may work. (Not tested) Denatured alcohol is commonly used for laquer thinner, and the yellow HEET is denatured alcohol. (Basically)
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Materials

Picture of Materials
This is a list of what you need to make this simple stove:
  • Three pop cans - One needs to be unopened.
  • A smallish screw
  • JB Weld - This stuff is awesome. You can use other high-temperature sealants, just make sure it can withstand 600 degrees Fahrenheit or more.
  • Scrap wood, 20mm high and a piece 30mm high.
  • Sand paper

You will also need a few tools:
  • Drill
  • Drill bit just a tad bigger that screw, or you can use one slightly smaller and actually screw the screw in.
  • Awl or other small, pointy object. (Like a needle)
  • Utility knife blade
aa_kim_3 years ago
how will i put off the fire after i finished using it?
I use a over-sized empty can, bigger than the stove element, to simply place it over the element, so it suffocates the flames.. Mind you, it's NOT, I repeat NOT an instant extinguish! leave it covered for at least 10 seconds, to give the boiling alcohol time to cool off a little.. simply covering, then uncovering, will be asking for a flare-up. Someone asked a little further down how did it melt the copper penny... depends on if it was true copper, or the present-day copper-plated? the copper plated, are usually zinc (as much as 97% core is zinc, while the remaining 3% outer shell is pure copper.) and zinc has a low melting point.. 692.68 K, 419.53 °C, 787.15 °F .. Copper itself, is far higher.. 1357.77 K, 1084.62 °C, 1984.32 °F. .. Alcohol, dependent on the purity (% alcohol, opposed to water, and impurities) will burn at 600-900 °C, (1112-1652 °F, OR 873-1173 °K)

I had one stove element melt the bottom of a small aluminum pot, so I would also add potential of acceleration of the air around the jets to the equation.. (though aluminum itself melts at 933.47 K, 660.32 °C, 1220.58 °F, mind you this was a thin walled aluminum pot, and the water I had in it, had boiled off completely.)

ebubbula3 years ago
You should show how to make the hybrid jet stove that is in the bottom right of the second picture.
J@50n5 years ago
(removed by author or community request)
how exactly did it melt the penny? it would be fun to melt them and make metal castings like jewelry or figurines.
triumphman4 years ago
It would be nice if you could use inches instead of metric measures for us American blokes! How about adding some USA numbers for us? Thanks Mate!
4662675 years ago
You know u dont have to use jb weld at the time.... U can just krimp it or do it manually ... that's what i did and it a little funner
J@50n 4662675 years ago
when you slide them in, instead of crimping (my dad told me too) you can boil a pot of water and stick one side in to make it expand and put the other in the freezer to make it contract. it works good!
junits15 J@50n5 years ago
or you can even use a guinness beer can for the top and a polar seltzer can for the bottom, they will slide together without any crimping stretching boiling or freezing.  Although a shim helps alot when sliding them together.
qwertyboy (author)  J@50n5 years ago
that's a good idea! i might have to try that when i make my next one.
J@50n qwertyboy5 years ago
just make sure you don't cover he one in water because u have to pick it up. 212 degreese ouch!
bulsatar5 years ago
A good way to prevent sticking is to lube up the 20mm with some vegetable oil or some cooking fat. Then it should slip right off after you stretch it.
bylerfamily6 years ago
1 vote :D
qwertyboy (author)  bylerfamily6 years ago
I love it.I just made a stove like this but it burned wax.I like fire :)
shortone6 years ago
Love it!
nepheron6 years ago
5 stars + 1 vote :)
qwertyboy (author)  nepheron6 years ago
hey, thanks!
cowtipper976 years ago
how odd thats how i got into this mini stove stuff too. and in the same order. weird
berky936 years ago
this is a really cool idea