Step 1: Make the Caramel Sauce
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 tbs corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cream, warmed
2 tbs unsalted butter, room tempurature
1/2 tsp sea salt, finely ground
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Put the sugar, corn syrup and water into a thick-bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat. Use a saucepan bigger than you think you need. Bring to a boil and let continue to cook until it is a rich dark copper color, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute or two. Don't let it cool until it hardens.
2. Pour the warm cream into the sugar mixture. It will bubble up quite a lot. This is why we used a bigger saucepan. Stir until it is completely mixed. Wear long sleeves and use oven mitts if you fear the caramel will bubble and burn you. It is very hot and can burn quite badly.
3. Add in the butter and stir in completely.
4. Add in the salt and stir in completely.
5. Add in the vanilla and stir in completely.
6. Now let cool a bit then pour into a jar or squeezy bottle for storage. Put 2 tablespoons in a small container for the frosting step. It is usable right away, but can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks. It will harden a bit in the fridge. Just heat it up in a microwave or pan of water (the entire jar or squeezy bottle, sealed) until it's pourable consistancy again.