I was inspired by a link my friend sent me to make eggs in onion rings. Then I had the bright idea that I could use the end of the onion and turn it into a pi(e) for this contest. When I saw this reddit post wanting more directions, I knew I better act soon before the internet community scooped me!
Step 1: Ingredients
1 onion slice
salt and pepper
1. Slice the onion towards one of the ends so that it forms a small bowl. This will be your "pie crust"
I successfully used the medium and large slice in this photo. The small slice would not have contained an entire egg.
The salt and pepper will be for the topping. You could substitute cayenne pepper, curry powder, rosemary, or other spices.
Step 2: Onion Crust
2. Turn burner on at low-medium heat.
3. Place the onion in the pan with the large circle touching the pan.
4. Cook for about 2 minutes until the bottom of the onion is turning slightly brown.
5. Flip the onion over so that you will be able to crack the egg into it.
People aren't kiddng when they say cooking times vary by oven. I have a gas stove that heats quickly. You don't want your burner turned on so high that the oil is splashing out of the pan. It's pretty obvious when the bottom has turned brown.
Step 3: Adding the Egg Filling
You may choose to try to remove the white above the yolk with a paper towel or fork. This makes the yellow more noticeable on the top of the finished product.