Straight from the 1984 movie 'The Last Starfighter' here's a project to create the Gunstar, a heavy fighter that single handedly took out an entire fleet of Kodan Deck Fighters and their command ship.
The popsicle stick model itself was literally "heavy" since it required nine (9) laminated pieces of tongue depressor-sized popsicle sticks for the fuselage, four (4) pieces of regular popsicle sticks for each engine assembly (the model has a total of four engines!), and sixteen (16) pieces of tongue depressor-sized popsicle sticks to complete each wing (the model has two wings!). This made the finished model weigh a lot more than previous popsicle stick mini models.
I estimated the complexity of the project to be 8 out of 10 due to the heavy grinding, sanding and shaping done to complete the model. Overall, this was a very interesting build. The finished model came out pretty good specially with the "death blossom" weaponry deployed.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
Tools used for this project were:
- Dremel Rotary Tool Model 3000 and MiniMite with the following attachments:
- 1/2 and 1/4 inch drum sander (fine & coarse grade)
- fine and coarse sanding disc
- #125 and #193 high speed cutter
- Olfa cutter with #11 Xacto Blade
- Fine tweezers
- mechanical pencil and ruler
- various mini clamps
- Elmer's white multi purpose glue
- vinyl cutting mat