Introduction: Mini Lego Flashdrive
This Instruct-able will teach you how to turn your average flash drive into a new fun LEGO version. I did this project myself about 4 years ago and it was my first mod. I have included a download to the original project power point.
- A USB flash drive (PNY brand work great, they are easy to tear-down and usually smaller than San disk)
- 2 tall 2x2 LEGO bricks (just your normal bricks, your USB may require a larger brick, 2x2 were what I used)
- 2 flat 2x2 LEGO bricks (You can substitute one of these for a flat piece too, see pic)
- Dremel or equivalent carving tool (you have to cut through the bricks plastic to allow room for the USB)
- Sealant (anything from glue to silicon, I used the as seen on TV product "mighty putty")
Step 1: Teardown
To start off you need to deconstruct the plastic housing of your USB. Many of the new USB's snap together and can be separated with a little work. Use caution not to damage the USB's internal workings.
Step 2: Make Room
Take your USB and mark a window on both tall bricks to remove. You will also need to remove the center column in the bricks.
Step 3: Assembly
Place your USB into one of the 2 tall bricks and secure it with glue, or just the sealant. Snap the base plate/flat brick to the bottom of the flash drive. Snap the remaining flat piece to the second brick, this is your lid.
Step 4: Enjoy
You now have your very own LEGO flash drive!!! For more information, or pictures you can download the power point if needed.