By combining rosebuds made from apple slices into a pie crust, I am able to create a beautiful dessert that we can both enjoy on Valentines Day!
Step 1: Gather Materials
- 6-8 Red Apples (I had 6 roma apples on hand)
- Lemon Juice
- Large bowl of water
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Muffin Rings
- Round Plastic Lid, or cookie cutter, which is ~2" larger than muffin ring
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet (with a rim)
- Your Favorite Pie Crust - homemade, store bought or a GF version - see Step 3
Step 2: Prepare Apples
- Because the peel of the apple will be used to accentuate the top of the rose petal, thoroughly wash but DO NOT peel the apples.
- Quarter the apples and discard the cores.
- Using a mandolin with the thinnest setting available, slice the apple quarters and soak in a bowl of water mixed with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Cover and place the bowl of prepared apple slices in the refrigerator until ready to use.