- Parts of a bamboo chair and bike inner tube pieces are used as materials for design experimentation..
- The Alchemy Goods Inner Tube Reuse Contest was the motivation to write down this instructable , however I made these stands a couple of years ago and we use them around the house a lot.
- Commercial laptop stands are too plastic and too bulky for my taste. Furthermore I prefer to set the laptop at a relatively small angle in respect to the desk and I wanted something with a wooden look..
- Initially I used books for this purpose but this results in damaging them after frequent use. Besides books are not stable enough , they occupy extra space behind the laptop and it is inconvenient if you want to change position on your desk..
- In this instructable I'll design and build three laptop stands out of the same materials and furthermore I'll show you a few ways to use inner tubes in the workshop, such as making hand grips for tools and a wooden clipboard.
Step 1: Less is more
The basic rule of this design game will be to reduce the construction to the essentials without compromising functionality.
A few things to consider:
Functionality The aim is to make a simple support for the laptop which makes it stand about 5-10o in respect to the desk. It must be stable with smooth contacts on both surfaces and allow ventilation underneath, It must also be small in dimensions and lightweight to have a place in the laptop bag.
Easy to make A few common tools and about one hour for building.
Beauty of form Simple geometric forms.Think of terms of cylinders, triangles, circles, trapezoids or whatever else may have a purpose in the construction. Take care to match materials and colours.
Recycling materials in the process, is an additional plus.
Step 2: Design
- Design as many as you can and then try to estimate the advantages and drawbacks of each one before starting to build.