Mint Tin Candle

25,568

304

52

Posted

Introduction: Mint Tin Candle

THIS IS MY FIST INSTRUCTABLES SO PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
This is my guide to a fun little mint tin candle.
This is a fun little project that takes about 5mins to make.

Step 1: Items Needed

All you need to make this is
A small mint tin (Altoids tin)
Glass jar or anything else to melt your wax in
Four tea light candles
Box of matches
Little bit of glue

Step 2: Remove the Metal Case

Now you want to take the candles out of the metal case and if you can remove the wick now,
When i was doing it the wick was stuck in the candle but you can just leave it in the candle for now.
Put the candles in a glass jar, put the jar in a pan of warm water,
Put the pan on the heat till it all melts. 

Step 3: Preparing the Mint Tin (altoids Tin)

Now put 2 wicks from the tea lights into the tin and glue them down so that they don't move then the wax melts.

Step 4: Finishing Off the Candle

Now you want to add the melted wax to the tin, and set it to one side and let it harden.
This is when i added some thing extra, i cut up a matchbook and glued the strike pad to the inside of the tin.
Then i glued 7 matches to a match stick and placed it in the lid, this makes it very easy to pull one off when you need one.

NOW ITS FINISHED AND YOU HAVE A COOL CANDLE IN A TIN!

Share

Recommendations

  • First Time Author Contest 2018

    First Time Author Contest 2018
  • Paper Contest 2018

    Paper Contest 2018
  • Sew Warm Contest 2018

    Sew Warm Contest 2018
user

We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.

Tips

Questions

51 Comments

what do you do with the hinge holes? Do you not fill it up that far?

This tin didn't really have holes. It was stamped and joined to the lid. But I didn't fill it quite that full. Hope that helps

Can you use paraffin that is used in canning for some of the candle wax?

user

Yes... or even all of it. The only caveats I have to offer are:

a) Wax has a low flashpoint - Gulf Wax's MSDS gives its flashpoint as 200°F. Please use a double-boiler/hot water bath to heat it, as described in this i'ble to help avoid a wax fire. Have an accurate thermometer and appropriate safety equipment nearby, and NEVER leave your melting wax unattended even for a few moments.

b) My experience has been that candles made with the cheap paraffin such as canning wax are FAR more smoky (and the smoke is unpleasant-smelling) than those made with higher quality paraffin or other waxes.

By the way, if your wax accidentally catches fire, do NOT pour water on/into it. I know it's the automatic reflex, but it will act as an accelerant and can cause an explosion. Instead, use baking soda and/or a cover of some sort to smother the fire, after turning off the stove. The fire should gradually die down and put itself out.

Correct Maka - wax can be dangerous to use if you're not careful. As a former Safety professional, my advice would be don't be afraid to try this, but definitely "plan for" a fire. Keep something nearby, such as the lid for that pan (so it fits tightly) and probably a small fire extinguisher as well, in case things get out of hand. (You DO have one of those in the kitchen, right? And Not directly behind or right next to the stove, where a fire could keep you from grabbing it??)
The key to fighting a small early-stage fire is - DON'T PANIC. Step back, take a quick breath, then immediately implement your pre-developed emergency plan. (the key is the term "pre-developed").

BTW, cute ible-pic! Is that a baby hedgehog?
Greg

user

Thanks, Greg. It's actually a baby sugar glider... I currently have 9 of them.

As a biologist, I recall there are a few real oddities regarding this guy.

Nucturnal, (so do you only play with them at night? :-)

Scent glands on the face (do they smell unless you descent them? I' helped do that operation on six baby skunks once)

Bifurcated penis (now THAT's a real oddity for you'!)

And - I think - they're found in Indonesia and ?Austrailia?

Whatever, they're cute!
G

user

<grins> They are a marsupial, a flying possum specifically. They're native to Australia and New Guinea but if I remember correctly, a wild population has been introduced in Tasmania.

They're nocturnal, yes. That doesn't really mean that they are never awake during the day, just that their primary awake period is at night. They wake up throughout the day and leave the nest to get a snack or a drink or run in the wheel or play for a little while. Most of mine are happy to come out for a little playtime during the day if I'm around. My schedule is a little erratic, so sometimes I am awake (either at the beginning of my day or the end of it) in the early morning hours, which is my favorite time to be awake with them. I have a little mesh pop-up beach tent that I set up in the middle of my living room. I climb inside with them, armed with treats and toys, and just hang out with them for an hour or two.

They (mostly the males) do have a slight natural odor but it's much milder than, say, a ferret. The males have a scent gland on the forehead and one on the chest, which are used to mark the members and territory of the colony. The scent glands basically disappear when the males are neutered. They also mark territory with urine, though, so that's a smell you really have to keep up with!

Yep. Bifurcated penis, branched vagina, double uterus. Babies - 80% of litters are two joeys - are born after 16 days' gestation and are teensy little fetuses the size of a grain of rice and weigh less than 1/4 gram. The father assists the mother helping the baby from the vagina to the pouch, where it latches onto a nipple which swells inside its mouth to prevent it slipping off because their jaws are too underdeveloped to latch off and on a nipple like most mammals do. They stay in the mother's pouch, latched onto a nipple, for about 70 days. After that they nurse another 8-10 weeks. Their natural diet is a very diverse collection of plant nectars, fruits, saps, and resins along with insects, arachnids, and eggs or even baby birds and small lizards.

They're REAL cute, and totally fascinating. I am crazy about them! :)

I do like the idea of thinking out the plan ahead of time and not relying on what was thought out long ago. I will do that whether I use the candle wax or paraffin. Thanks.

OH hey I forgot something very important! IF you use a fire extinguisher to extinguish a wax fire, be VERY careful not to get too close at first, because the strong discharge pressure COULD spread the burning wax the same way as if water were used!

The BEST first measure for a burning liquid fire on the stove is almost always a tight-fitting metal lid for the pan, which will smother the fire by excluding oxygen from getting to the flame. This may be a good example for keeping a CO2 extinguisher in the kitchen, but watch out for the fumes, which are rather caustic to breath.

BTW - if you wanna do a neat demo to see how CO2 smothers a fire, put a chunk of dry ice like you get when they deliver a food package to the front door in a cooler (use a glove or tongs! ) into a large nonflammable container (not the styrofoam cooler - just in case!) and let it sublimate for a little bit (look it up!) with the lid on. Then light a match, take the lid off the container, and gently lower the match into the inside. It should go out as soon as it reaches the level of the CO2 gas.