A very simple method to transfer your favorite design onto a lamp.
I've chosen the skull logo from band, The Misfits.
If you're not familiar with them check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_(band)
Also I recommend the songs, 'Forbidden Zone' & 'Lost in Space'
Obviously you can choose any design you want but this instructable will be tailored toward the skull design.
Step 1: Gather Materials
You will also need:
- a Pencil
- Fine Tipped brush
- Larger Brush
- Black Paint, acrylic, oil or fabric paints are best.
- 2 - 3 hours time and a little patience
Now you need to get your source image. To find the skull type 'misfits' into google images, or find your own design.
If picking your own design try to find one with:
- Only one or two colours.
- Large blocks of colour as well as some blank areas for light to shine through.
- Not too much small intricate detail.
Step 2: Disassemble Your Lamp
Step 3: Sketch Out Design
It's not worth taking too long over this as you will be painting over these lines. If you don't want to copy every little bump in the design just copy the general shape and make the rest up.
Step 4: Outline Your Design
Don't trace over the lines with your brush as you will loose some definition. Paint up to the lines trying to keep the edges sharp.
When painting try to remember:
- Keep the paint fairly thick, if it's too thin it may leech through the fabric into unwanted areas.
- If the brush is getting a bit clumpy wash it out and reshape it to get a fine point.
- It's worth being careful when doing the teeth as these look the best when finished.
- If you get paint on your hands, wash it off before continuing, or you are likely to transfer it onto the white areas of your design.
- This is gonna take about an hour so be patient.
Step 5: Thicken Out Your Design
You may want to paint the whole shade black but I chose to fade out from the design.
Using the larger brush and slightly thinned paint, build up layers of dry brushing, using less paint toward the edges. This way the solid black around the design will fade toward the edges.
Step 6: Reassemble the Lamp
There finished. You could expand this by painting another design on the opposite side or by customizing the base, But for now my lamp is finished.
If you are a perfectionist you will notice little spots you've missed now that the bulb is shining, feel free to go back and fill them in.
Sit back and watch it glow.