I hope you all enjoy these. Remember you can use any combination of ingredients you would use for making Cake Balls or Cake Pops to make these molded candies!
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
1 Chocolate Cake Mix (Prepare as per box instructions in 9" Rounds)
1 Container of Chocolate Frosting
1 Cup Dried Mission Figs
1 Pound Purple Confectionary Coating
1 Tablespoon of Grand Marnier Liqueur
3/4 Cup Boiling Water
Large Mixing Bowl
Candy Mold for filled candies
Microwave Safe Bowls
Small Sharp Paring Knife
Paper Candy Cups
Step 2: Preparing the Mission Figs
2. Slice the figs into a small dice.
3. Put the diced figs into a heatproof dish and cover with boiling hot water. You only need enough water to just cover all the figs.
4. Let the figs sit in the hot water for 30-60 minutes. This will reconstitute the dried figs.
5. After the figs have gotten soft, drain all the water off .
Step 3: Making the Filling
2. Using your hands, crumble up the chocolate cake till it is in small crumbles.
3. To the chocolate cake crumbs add 3 tablespoons of the chocolate frosting, the reconstituted diced mission figs, and the 1 tablespoon of the Grand Marnier Liqueur.
4. Using your hands, combine all of these ingredients until they are all well blended.
Step 4: Filling the Molds
2. Microwave the confectionary coating in 30 seconds intervals, mixing between each timed cooking cycle till the confectionary coating is melted and smooth.
3. Once the confectionary coating is ready, fill your clean and dry candy mold. Fill each cavity completely to the top.
4. After all the cavities are filled in the mold, let it sit 2-3 minutes at room temperature.
5. After the filled mold has sat 2-3 minutes, invert the mold over a piece of parchment paper and let the excess coating drip out till only a line amount of confectionary coating remains in the mold. The excess confectionary coating can be re-melted and used again.
6. Place the candy mold in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set the confectionary coating.
Step 5: Filling the Candy Molds
2. Once each cavity has been filled, use a small spoon to add enough of the melted confectionary coating to seal the tops(bottoms).
3. You can use a dough scraper to smooth the confectionary coating over the cavities if you get to much in each one.
4. Once all the cavities have been filled, place the candy mold in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set the confectionary coating.
5. Remove the mold from the freezer and invert the mold on your work surface. The candies should drop out of the mold easily.
6. Use a small sharp paring knife to remove any excess confectionary coating from around the the bottoms of your bonbons.
Step 6: Finishing the Bonbons
2. Each candy was placed in a paper candy cup to complete the presentation.
The Fig & Chocolate Bonbons would make a great treat for Mom on Mother's Day!
Note: Making Candied Violets
These are very simple.
1. Pick violets leaving some stem attached.
2. Wash and dry the flowers gently.
3. Whisk an egg white in a small bowl.
4. Using a small brush, coat each petal with the egg white.
5.cover each petal front and back with superfine sugar(castor sugar).
Place the coated flower on waxed paper or parchment paper and let dry .