So I bought a mass market tomahawk the other day. I'd always wanted one, then stumbled across a website and discovered they were really affordable. About $30 shipped. And several different styles to choose from. I chose a 'Cold Steel Trail Hawk.'
It came in the mail and I was shocked at how BORING it looked. So I decided to make a few changes. And this beauty was born.
(This is my first 'ible. Hope you enjoy!)
Step 1: Raw Materials
So here is what I got in the mail. A 'hawk with a plain handle (I ordered a spare, too). With the axe head painted black. Like I said.... boring.
First step is to remove the axe head. On my model there was a small hex screw on the side of the head. I found the correct hex wrench and simply removed it entirely. With the encourangement of a wooden mallet, I was able to slide the head _down_ the handle.
Step 2: Remove paint from the axe head
Careful about this stuff touching bare skin - it burns.
Once all the paint was loose, I washed it with plain ol' soap and water.