The fan, unfortunately, spins much to quickly to be used for pictures. I tried using with patterns of strips and spirals and discovered that it created an interesting Moiré effect. Hence the name, though I was also considering calling it the "Hypno Lamp".
The lamp consists of two cylinders the pattern on the outside cylinder is printed on a transparency sheet and the spinning cylinder on the inside is printed on regular white printer paper. Both of these can be switched up, so you can try out different patterns.
Step 1: What you will need
- PC Cooling Fan with LEDs (80mm diameter) -I bought mine here
- 1.5-12v Ac adapter ( my adapter can switch between 1.5-12 v)
- Glass vase ( mine is 6inch high and 11 inches in circumference - I bought it at a dollar store
- Transparency sheets
- Regular white printer paper
- Computer and colour printer
- Clear tape
- Pliers to strip ends of wires
- 2 twist on wire connectors
- Optional -Sugru
Step 2: Print
I tried out a few different patterns in different colours to use with my lamp with varying effect. This site gives some interactive examples on how different Moiré patterns are created. Looking at the images above you can see the Moiré effect caused by your computer screen.