Introduction: Mor Mor's Cardamom Rolls
These Swedish sweet dinner rolls are often served on Santa Lucia day the 13th of December. I can remember getting up early in the morning, putting candles in our hair and cardamom rolls on a tray with coffee and taking them in to our mother for a special breakfast in bed when we were young. One of my sisters nearly set her hair on fire one year.
We also always had these rolls for Christmas, they are quite easy to make and addictive. They are good fresh but they also are good a couple days later--if they aren't eaten right up!
Step 1: Recipe
2 c milk
1/2 c butter
3/4 c sugar
1 t salt
6-7 c flour
10-15 cardamom pods (take seeds out and grind them)
2 pkt yeast
4 eggs, beaten
Step 2: Method
1. Mix together 3 c flour, sugar, salt, cardamom and yeast.
2. Heat milk and butter to about 125 - 130 degrees F.
3. Add to flour.
4. Add eggs (warm or room temperature).
5. Continue adding flour until stiff but still fairly sticky.
6. Let rise two times. Punching it down each time.
7. Make into rolls, let rise to double and bake in a 350 degree F oven.
Step 3: Shaping the Rolls A
Take a small handful of dough with your floured fingers and roll into a long rope.
Step 4: Shaping the Rolls B
Fold one end of the rope over the other one.
Step 5: Shaping the Rolls C
Push the longer end up and under to form a knot.
Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with butter - yum!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.