Here you can find my unique retractable motorbike carrier project with 38 photos and detailed explanations...
Step 1: Old One!
When we bought our motorhome, it already equipped with a "carrier" on it.
Design of this carrier was really terrible:
- Due to straight main beams, it reduces departure angle of RV and crashes to ground even at small slopes; for example every ferry travel :(
- Lenghtens RV approximately 55cm, permanently
- Can carry only a motorbike (small one :) ) and no space for our bicycle
- Masks licence plate (it is not legal of course) and no extra driving lights
- No place for bike ramp and we had to carry it in cargo space!
- Main rail steel was too thin and flimsy
- Heavy for its size due to unnecessary thickness of stainless steel pipes
Of course removed it after our second trip and start to design much better one by myself; hooray! :))
Step 2: New Design :)
I called customer relations deparment of my motorhome company in Germany and learned that its chasis construction is designed around 150kg including carrier itself.
Planning to design a carrier which can capable to carry motorbike + bicycle + generator + ramp.
My motorbike is around 100kg, carrier itself calculated as (preliminary designs) 32kg...
Have enough capacity for bicycle (12kg) :))
Sometimes I'm using Honda EU 10i generator (12kg) to run 220V air conditioner while travelling.
Fully loaded, slightly exceeding approved capacity; will not tell to anybody ;)
RV schematic is not my own; it is here just to give an idea about calculation basic.
After CAD design, prepared main parts by plywood and check if they interfere with RV's body...
Step 3: Preparing / Finding Parts
Main arms made of 8.0mm thick steel, rail and ramp 4.0mm embossed aluminum sheet and generator rack and bicycle rail 3.0mm aluminum sheet.
All sheet parts laser cut and bended in local company.
Note that connection cut for ramp and mounting "lug" for bicycle extension slide...
Running lights are all led, made by Farba :)
Licence plate lights are Hella, chromed.
Also we need steel tubes for fixing mechanism and horizontal support connections.
All screws are stainless steel.