Introduction: Motorcycle Inspection Plate
I hate having inspection stickers on my bike, so I made a plate for the stickers out of aluminum. Here's what I did.
1) Measure the size of the inspection sticker. Sometimes they're the same size as the car sticker. In VA, stickers are roughly 2.75 x 3.875 inches.
2) Find a place on your bike and plan how you want the plate to hang (figure out the shape your plate will need to be).
Step 1: Fabricate
Layout your design on your aluminum stock. The stock aluminum I had was a little less than 1/8 inch thick, and came with a plastic coating on one side, so I marked up on that coating (and peeled it off after cutting).
1) Add a little space around your sticker-size for some leeway in application of the sticker. I used 3 x 4.25 inches.
2) Measure the bolt you'll hang the plate from, and mark up the hole you'll need as well.
3) Drill the hole before cutting the aluminum (easier).
4) Use a jigsaw and cut the aluminum (easier).
5) Use a rotary tool to clean up the edges (easier).
6) Where protective gear (safer...).
Step 2: Hang It on Your Bike!
With the bike in one hand and the sticker-plate in the other, use your magic and meld the two together.
Then go to the inspection station and show off your fancy new plate!