As of 2012, the Minnesota statutes have re-classified Motorized-Bicycles as MOPEDs and are
now required to be registered and plated. BUT!!! (and this is the part that makes me angry)
The DMV/DVS will NOT register "homemade" MOPEDs without a federally approved MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin)
a.k.a. built in a federally recognized and registered factory.
Since *I* am the manufacturer, there is no way I can possibly do that.
I am currently pursuing registering it as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" - lumped in with Choppers, Street-Rods, Reconstructions, and all other modified vehicles. These people want RECEIPTS!
When I started this project a year ago, it was a BICYCLE and I didn't bother keeping any receipts (who could have known?)
Do yourself a favor: SAVE ALL RECEIPTS!
Update: The comment section contains the instructions for "getting it registered & plated"
Many thanks to all the people who have helped me in this quest.
This bike project started out as a request from my wife:
She has a 4 mile hilly terrain commute to work (and she's very frugal)
We saw a youtube video of a motorized bicycle in action doing 30+ mph and getting 170 mpg.
AND THEN IT HAPPENED...
She said: "Can you build one of those?"
I said: "Hell yes!"
Then she said: "Well then, go ahead and build one for me"
SHE ACTUALLY SAID THAT !!! - I JUST ABOUT DIED FROM SHOCK!
(For the record, I think I have just about the best wife on the planet)
The 1st picture is a current (September, 2012) view of our new "MOPED".
1: It's got all the "legal" stuff taken care of... (it's been inspected, registered, plated, and insured)
2: The seat has been repositioned just as low to the ground as possible.
3: The headlight and all of the electronics have been upgraded - (see the schematic).
4: The turn signal/brake/horn switches have been upgraded.
5: The brake lights and turn signals have been upgraded.
6: The fuel filter has been upgraded.
7: The air filter is in the process of being upgraded.
It's DONE, FINISHED, COMPLETED, etc, etc, etc...
Whoa! Stop! Wait...
I've come to the realization that: THIS IS A NEVER ENDING PROJECT !!!!!
(run away! run away!)
The 2nd picture was a recent (March, 2012) view of how far it had come over the last year or so that I've been working on it.
- A very upgraded version from before the "long, cold, winter of 2011 - that never happened in Minnesota"
The 3rd (or is that the 11th?) picture is how it looked right out of the box around May, 2011 (*some assembly required)
The rest is, well: A (very) detailed log of my work in progress...
Buy the ticket, take the ride...
(I hope you enjoy the trip)
Step 1: Stripping/Chopping
It's hard to explain, but I think the pictures do a pretty good job of that. (see pic #3)
Then bend the forward frame to meet the "forward end" of the motor mount - to be welded later.
After the cuts were made and it was bent into shape, I decided that it didn't look quite sturdy enough.
So I drew up the plans for a 1/4" steel motor mount assembly in autocad, cut it out on the laser at work, and had a couple of the boys there weld it all together for me.
(again, I'm one lucky guy!)