I've been so frustrated trying to find a way to mount a Kryptonite Series 2 u-lock on my Women's bike frame. The angle the seat post meets the top bar makes it impossible to secure the supplied bracket to the bike frame and the minimal space between the top and bottom bar leaves no room to do much with. So, after spending considerable time doing research online finding inspiration, I finally decided to adapt a few ideas and create my own mount.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- PVC Pipe - measured to the bar that locks to the "U". For me, I wanted it to be the full length of the larger half before the key/lock section (basically the part that says "kryptonite") and the width to be a snug fit. My piece was 3.5" long and had an opening of 1 3/8".
- Drill Bit - the same width, or slightly larger (by just a fraction of an inch) of the hole where the "U" inserts into the lock. I used a 9/16 drill bit.
- 2 Stainless Steel Hose Clamps - the size of one depends on your bike frame (1.5x or 2x bigger than your bike frame) and the other on the pipe you bought (should fit snugly before tightening). I used a 3/4" - 1-3/4" and a 1-3/4" - 2-3/4".
- Flat Head Screwdriver for the clamps (a 8mm hex bit socket fits it too which I found easier to use)
- Velcro - I used a piece of heavy duty tape (soft side) for the frame and a velcro tie for the U-Lock
- Good, durable tape that won't tear - I used electrical and repair tape