Step 2: Outlines
For either method below, start a new file that is a printable size. I used 10" x 8"
I used Illustrator to trace the outlines with Live Trace. That process goes like this:
- Drop image into Illustrator
- Select Live Trace/Color 6
- Expand the trace
- Duplicate the layer as many times as layers you will need.
- On each layer, delete everything except for the color you want
- Convert all of the shapes to a black stroke with a white fill
For Photoshop or GIMP, you can do this:
- Make new layers for each stencil layer
- Trace the outlines of the colors for each layer